Wednesday, November 18, 2009

aesthetic projection

I've got myself started on music now, and I may not be able to stop.

Being a fan of classical music is a lonely business, at least in my generation. I rarely admit to my enthusiasm, almost as if it's alcoholism, or some deviant sexual behavior, because when I do own up people usually react as if I've just admitted to alcoholism, or some deviant sexual behavior. You can see the physical revulsion even if they don't actually say, "Oh, I see. You're one of those people."

The most popular alternative is "Really?! You listen to classical music? Good for you!"

It's not oatmeal; I don't do it for the vitamins.

I've spent most of my life reminding myself that many, if not most, people don't like classical music, but I've never quite become convinced.

I was bantering with a friend once about the minutiae of Bill Evans vs. Thelonious Monk, Billie Holiday vs. Ella Fitzgerald, Miles vs. Coltrane, etc., and he waxed so cartoonishly enthusiastic, I was forced to say, "You know, Geoff, there are people who don't like jazz," to which he replied, eyes twinkling,

"I've heard that, but I don't believe it."

3 comments :

  1. All it takes, though, is one piece and whoosh, you're down the rabbit hole. I've been on a Shostakovich kick lately, and it all started with this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhZVqODYsI

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're right, I'm surprised at educated youth of America. If nothing else, what do they do to impress others? Video of the week?

    Also, to split a hair, you/we do do it for the vitamins; we just like our vitamins. You even know how they work.

    Nice light touch here, Barbaro--you could easily have gotten bombastic.

    Keep nagging me about 32 steps, OK? I just keep forgetting to order it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny, I was brought up on classical music and am incredibly ignorant in terms of current stuff, or anything popular, really. That's wonderful that you're passionate about it.

    I agree with you...Jazz, not so good!

    The lovely thing about classical music is how broad it is - orchestral, solo, chamber music.
    You're a fan of Glenn Gould?

    ReplyDelete